Where to begin? Most mere mortals are overwhelmed by the 3.4 × 10-4 million posts on visualization, design, art, Excel, Powerpoint, data, and haiku on our blog. Here’s our “editor’s choice” – the best places to get started.
Our Views on Analytics and Communicating Data
- The last mile problem – The barriers that separate raw data from better decisions.
- “Business intelligence isn’t a technical problem” – Success of business intelligence ultimately depends on getting the social side right.
- Why analytical applications fail – Many analytical applications fail for a simple reason: they assume users know precisely what they need before they’ve begun the analysis.
Information Experiences™, Dashboards and Metrics
- Designing Information Experiences™ – The intersection between user experience and information-intensive applications.
- Features of Successful Real-Time Dashboards – Eight characteristics of real-time dashboards, where immediate, “on the ground” decision-making is king.
- Choosing the right metric – A checklist for determining if you’re using the right metric to measure your progress.
- Think Like a Designer – Tips to help you become a better information presenter by thinking like a designer.
- Designed to be Used – The battle of functionality versus purpose.
- 5 stages of data analytics maturation – Explore the different stages that analysts go through as they become more effective at acting on information.
- The problem with pie charts – Why the visualerati dislike them so.
- 10 Lessons in Treemap Design – How to use treemaps effectively.
- Juice’s Simple Font Framework – Simple rules for better typography in your work.
Tips and Tricks
- Lightweight data exploration in Excel and More on Excel in-cell graphing – Exploring large data in Excel.
- Excel Training Worksheet – Effective Excel starter set.
Just for Fun
- Proof of the Colbert Bump – The Juice Team analyzes the data to reveal what’s behind the myth of fame and publishing fortune following an appearance on Stephen Colbert’s show.
- Baby Dashboard and Baby Dashboard v2.0 – If you have kids, you’ll appreciate these reporting capabilities.
- A Presentation Breakup Letter – When you need more from an application, sometimes you just have to move on.
- Excel Keyboarding Game – You can get a lot faster with Excel if you learn to use keyboard shortcuts instead of the mouse. Here’s a game to get you started.
- NFL Stats Visualization – Geeking out on NFL data shouldn’t be left only to the stats junkies at Football Outsiders.